All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Trout Wandering

Enough snow already! Cabin fever has set in. My mind is wandering, and the only thing I can think about is getting out on some creeks, streams, and rivers with a fly rod and a handful of flies. I'm counting down the days, and here in Utah, I figure I have about 35 days to go before I can start looking for some Blue-winged olive hatches. These hatches will occur on the lower elevation waters. The high country will be covered with snow far into June.

I have a few new places to hit this year, small creeks that I have heard about, but haven't had the opportunity to explore. This blog site will be about those explorations. I will post about the discoveries and the feelings I encounter as I wander. I will try to post a few pictures too.

My favorite thing to do is to seek out wild, native trout in their natural and historical waters. Here in Utah, that means cutthroat trout. I will,however, not limit my drivel to just cutthroat, as many of our waters are not capable of sustaining these beautiful gems. In many of our waters, the native cutthroat have been taken over by brown trout. The brown trout have been reproducing in our waters for many years now and although they are not native are very much wild, reproducing trout.

I have been fly fishing for 37 years and tying flies for over 25 years. As time goes on I will introduce you to fly patterns, materials and some techniques. This will be fun. Thanks for joining me!

No comments: