All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Jumping in Like a Kid

Last year was a hot summer. I couldn't even get away from the heat by driving into the mountains to fish. Putting on a pair of waders on some days was just unbearable! I found myself reverting back to how I fished as a kid: jumping in the creek clothes and shoes. At first, I would try to sneak around the water and not get wet, but before long, I just had to wade out to hit the spots I couldn't reach by staying dry. It's actually quite refreshing to fish this way when it's hot.

The only thing I didn't like on some of these wet wading adventures, is walking back down a dirt trail or road in wet shoes and pants. The accumulation of trail dirt is amazing. It builds up nice and thick. It's something you really don't want to drag into a vehicle in most instances. Wearing shorts can help cut down on the mud, and having an extra pair of dry shoes or boots and socks is smart. If you plan things right, and the day is hot enough, you can try to dry off before you hike down the road. On hot summer days, this doesn't take too long especially if you wear some of the quick dry fishing and hiking pants that are out there.

Anyway, it's fun to just throw a fly box, some floatant and a spare leader or two into a pocket and then head up the stream, rock hopping and wading wet. I find it makes me feel like a kid again and brings back those memories when I could fish all day and cover miles of stream.

1 comment:

BG said...

Great read.... Look forward to your future posts!