All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Thursday, February 28, 2008

This brown trout came from a little tiny stream. I caught it just as the shadows of evening were starting to hit the water. I was looking into the clear water spotting trout and then casting to them. This little run had no fish in it but as I was watching, I noticed this brown come out from an undercut bank about twenty feet upstream. He swam casually downstream about ten feet below me. He then turned and faced upstream. I could tell he had come out to take a feeding position and grab a bite to eat before total darkness hit the water. I cast about eight feet above him and let my fly float to him. He rose up and sipped in the fly on the first cast.

Most of the fish I spotted that evening were already in position when I cast to them. This brown was fun because I watched him come to feed and becasue I was already in position hiding behind some willows, he had no clue I was there.

I caught several more fish at each run moving upstream until I could barely see. The fear of wild animals and ghosts soon scared me from the water.

2 comments:

Marci and Matt said...

The page looks good! I can't wait for this summer/fall. I am looking forward to hiking to some of these smaller streams and hooking up with some nice cutties.

JayMorr said...

Thanks for the read Robert! Hope all is well.

Keep up the great work!