All content © Robert Williamson

All content © Robert Williamson

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Dinner!

A couple of my dinners consisted of kabobs of elk meat, red onions, green peppers, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. The elk meat was provided by my neighbor. He hunted up near Vernal (Diamond Mountain) and brought home a 5X6. Having the elk meat added to the rustic flavor of the whole trip. In my mind, I created a scenario of being pretty self-suficient (even though the veggies and mushrooms came from the supermarket). As I cooked on an open fire, I dreamed of bygone days when being an outdoorsman really meant something. Today it seems those who consider themselves outdoorsmen would hardly know what to do if they couldn't haul a trailer, ATV, and kitchen sink on their outings. A tent and and air matress anymore, is really roughing it. Anyway, the elk meat was tender and tasty. I could detect no game flavor in it. Watch the cherry tomatoes! Those babies can heat up fast and the juices can burn the tongue. It only took me a couple bites before I figured that out. Taste buds will be back to normal in a few days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to get away for a bit of recuperation from the shingles. Looks like you had a great time!

The trout look healthy. The food looks excellent. And it sounds like the company was perfect. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't have a single open fire trout this year. Like you, I try to eat at least one of the fish I catch each year. Since my wife doesn't like trout too much, I usually eat mine when I'm on a fishing expedition too.

Robert said...

It was fun. The trout were plump, which is a good sign. I usually eat my trout in the wilds. I'm usually to lazy to clean them and take them home. That area has a two trout limit so it's a good time to just keep a couple at the end of the day and throw them on a fire.

I'm not a total hermit, but I do subscribe to the notion of Thoreau who said, "He who goes alone can go now, but he that goes with another must wait until the other is ready." Something like that. Sometimes I just don't plan far enough in advance to invite someone.